Saturday, February 20, 2010
For more than two centuries, ice palaces were popular in Russia and then later in north America but the fashion was short lived. Now ice hotels are catching on. Grabrielle walker reports from sweden on this unusual but fast-growing tourist destination.when Yngve Bergqvist decided to build an igloo to showcase native Sami art. After a few tourists enquired about staying the night, Yngve saw the potential, and shortly after the ice hotel was born.
Along with the original ice hotel in Sweden, there are numerous other locations that have recreated the authentic ice hotel, each offering their own twist. Some of the most notable of which are covered below
The ice hotel at Jukka is the original and possibly the best, at least in terms of “things to do”, with a range of safari treks and artic trails on offer.
The Swedish ice hotel has a notably large range of accommodation.
For instance, for those wishing to sleep somewhere a little warmer, there are the luxurious “Aurora Houses”. The skylight in each house makes it possible to fall asleep under the famous Northern Lights.
If location and remoteness is what you are looking for, then Norway is the perfect option. The ice hotel situated in Kirkenes is a staggering 1,550 miles from Oslo, so you’d be hard stretched to find another ice hotel as remote!
The ice hotel here is essentially a smaller version of Sweden’s, with a couple of suites, ice sculptures and an ice chapel.
Thursday, February 11, 2010
Tourism is hospitality industry, which has been growing very fast to be one of the major industries in the world. The tourism industry helps to generate direct foreign exchange and employment oppertunities. It creats consciousness among people. There are many importanc of tourism. There are as follows:-
1. Employment generation:- Of the total global workforce, more than 10% is employed in the different aspect of tourism. Tourism generates direct as well as indirect employment oppertunity to general masses. This has difinately uplifted people's living standard.
2. Change in life style:- There is exchange of views, culture and attitude with foreigners. This brings change in attitude and lifestyle of people. People's superstitution and beliefs change. So it has great educative aspect too.
3. Source of foreign exchange:- Tourism has become major source of foreign exchange, Which is required for various development project.
4. Promotion of nation:- tourism helps to familiarize the local arts, skills, natural beauty, landscape culture. It is learnt that the tourist once visited propogrates and more and more tourist are aspired to visit the beautiful destination.
5. Expands market:- the increase of travel trade within nationl boundaries widen due to tourism. It is because every tourist is both the consumer and exporter of local products.
5. Development of handicraft industries:- The foreign tourists are fond of buying handicraft in large quantities. Heance, the sale of such handicrafts has been an important source of foreign exchange.etc.
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Sandwichs are the food usually made from two or three or more slice of butter or mayonnaise slice of bread with various type of filling eg. meat, chicken ,fishcheese,
vegetable.egg etc.Bread may be toasted or fresh a veriety of shape with an almost endless assortment of filling.
The services of sandwich and burgers various with the purpose for which it is used. Snacks bar sandwichs substantial and a meal into themselves. It is also serve for tea parties. Supper or with coffee, used for picnic baskets sometime taken as a full mwal with milk and fruit. Mustly the sandwiches and burgers are accompanied by french fries, chiff on a de lettuce, julienne of cabbage, carrots etc. That different kinds of bread that are used for the preparation of sandwiches are brown bread bread, white bread, French loaf, bread rolls and boat shaped bread.
The origin of sandwiches like wines and spirits is very controversial and many ideas have put forward to their origin, but the most feasible are as the "joan mantagu". The earl of sandwich (1718-1792)was the originator of the name SANDWICH. The types of sandwich are 3 that is Closed sandwich, open sandwich and grilled sandwich.
Monday, February 8, 2010
LInen refers to all fabric used in hotel. However, most of the linen used in the hotel is usually of cotten or synthetic.Generally we can define of linen as follows:-
1. multon cloth:- It is a thick fabric materials displayed as a base and used to hold the tables. It is fixed on the table itself with the rope of thumpin,
2. Table cloth:- Table cloth are the main linen placed over the moulten cloth. This is should maid from cotten fabrics thst can be easily washed,
3. Slip cloth:- These are specially designed small peace of cloth which are laid over table cloth to decrease the wear and tear and to add life and also to cover the staying. usually contrast colour is used.
4. Buffet cloth:- buffet cloth are laid upon the buffet table on which the food items are displayed on chaffing dish for special functions or banquet. This cloth are pinned in a moulten cloth attached with a buffet table,
5. Frills:- Frills are the fabrics used for skirting the buffet table. It can also be used in the guest,
6. Waiters cloth:- these are used by ever waiters as protection against heat and to keep uniform clean. The size of the waiters cloth is 18"l 24w,
7. Guest napkin:- Guest napkins are used by the guest during the dining time to clean and wipe their mouth and hands,
8. Tray cloth:- fresh linen is use to put on the tray. It protect from spilage and breakage of dishes during the service. It is placed on service tray without over napkin.
The hotel and restaurant business is an admixture of showmanship deplomaci and sociability. The etiqette data a waiter exhibits in a restaurant should comprise the following:-
1. Attened to the guest as soon as they into the restaurant,
2. Assist guest to remove warm heavy coats in winter and help put them on when they leave,
3. Wish guest as per the time of the day and welcome them to the restaurant,
4. Preferably address them by their name which required remembering them,
5. Be polite to guest,
6. Help to seat ladies,
7. Provide extra custions or special chairs for children,
8. When speaking to a guest, don't interrupt him/her if he/she is speaking to another guest,
9. Do not overhead conversation'
10. Avoid manarism such as :- touching hair and no speaking,
11. Remembering a guest special dish and remind him/her that you know eat,
12. Be attentive to guest calls,
13. Talk sofetly,
14. Strike a match to enable a guest in the restaurant,
15. Avoid arguing with service staff and guest in the restaurant,
16. carrying pencils in the pocket not behind your or clipped in front of the pocket,
17. Disits from chewing gum
18. Present the sheck or bill to the guest discreetly in order to avoid inbrassing him,
19. Avoid soliciting for tips,
21. Remove tips sfter the guest has left,
22. Inter and leave the restaurant through the service door only.
A waiter is a person who takes order and serve food and beverages to the guest as per the guest order in a systemetic ways.The discription of waiter is summerised under:-
1. Attend in a breifing propmtly,
2. Mise-en scene and mise-en place of service outlet,
3. To collect the requisitioned items like linens, glassware, chinaware, flowers, stationery etc. from the store,
4. To clean and police service equipment,
5. To make a table serviceable on time,
6. To receive and seat the guest,
7.Take the order of F&B,
8. Serve the food and beverages order by the guest,
9. clearance of the table after each course,
10. crumbling down the table,
11. To present check or bill and receive the payment,
12. Applying the tools of salesmanship,
13. To ensure the safety and security at work place thus avoiding the accident,
14. To ensure the high degree og hygiene and sanitation.
15. Receive and exchange the outlet linens from the housekeeping department,
16. To perform any other duty assigned by the managment.
17. Should have a sound knowldge of F&B service and course served within the menu,
18. seeing of the guest to with a pleasen remarks and invite them to re- visit.
Sunday, February 7, 2010
Sauce can be defined as liquid or semi liquid, which have suitable colourful appearance that is served along with the foos items as an accompaniment. The perfect sauce has a colourful appearance, it's texture is that of velvet and has a definite taste. There are basically 6 types of sauce. They are:-
1.Bechamel(white) sauce:- the ingredients of bechamel sauce are:- milk, butter, flour, studden onion, salt&papper.
2. espangnole(brown) sauce:- brown sauce is made from brown roux and brown stock. The ingredients are:- flour, butter, brown stock, bouquet garni, mire poix, tomato puree.
3. Hollandaise (warm yellow) sauce:- It contains high percentage of fat and egg yolk. Butter, egg yolks, crushed papper corn, vinegar, lemon juice are main ingredients of hollandaise sauce.
4. Mayonnaisw(basic cold) sauce:- It is generally used in salad dressing and also used as an accompaniment. It's ingredients are:- salad or olive oil, egg yolks, French mustard power, vinegar, lemon juice, seasoning.
5. Veloute(blonde) sauce:- It is a basic blonde sauce, prepared from blonde roux and white stock. Veloute gets it's name from the type of stock used. It can be maid with butter flour, white stock, mushroom timmings.
6. tomato (red) sauce:- It adds colour to the dish. White sauce, butter, flour, mire poix, bouquet garni, tomato puree, bacon, scraps are ingredients of tomato sauce.